In search of healthy and fun meals to feed my family, with an eye toward sustainable living.

Here you'll find recipes & ramblings about keeping my family fed with what's available in Alaska between local produce, a little bit of wild harvest, and the modern grocery store.

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Dreaming of Bretzels and Bagels...

Now that I've got sourdough-baking more or less down to a reliable loaf of bread, I'm ready to embark on that combination of boiling and baking that produces pretzel (Bretzel in German) and bagels.

Here are some great recipes I'm looking forward to trying sometime soon (and yes, they do use sourdough starter!):

1) recipe for an authentic German Bretzel on the blog Confections of a Master Baker,
2) Jewish Pumpernickel Bagel from the blog A Fresh Loaf.

Last, but not least, I just learned that the German "Dinkelbrot" translates to Spelt bread!
Here's an American recipe for German Dinkelbrot from A Fresh Loaf.

1 comment:

  1. Darnit, my comment just got swallowed by the abyss.

    Anyways I was going to mention the baking soda in the boiling water to get that wonderful pretzel flavour, but after reading the first link in your post I guess there's no knead too, eh?

    I'd also written something else but can't remember it now. Must not have been that important I guess.

    ReplyDelete