In search of healthy and fun meals to feed my family, with an eye toward sustainable living.

Here you'll find recipes & ramblings about keeping my family fed with what's available in Alaska between local produce, a little bit of wild harvest, and the modern grocery store.

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Zwiebelkuchen (German onion tarte)

Zwiebelkuchen is a simple german vegetarian meal -- although it is often made with speck (saltpork or bacon).


It is often served at this time of the year, and is especially popular when the new wine, or "Moscht" comes out a few weeks after the grapes are crushed.
I like to use my Alaskan "Ulu" knife for cutting pizza and tartes.


Zwiebelkuchen (German onion tarte)
dough: use a yeast dough (same as for pizza)
Preheat pizza stone at 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Topping: Saute 3-4 large onions in oil or bacon grease until translucent and caramelized, but not too brown. Place them on the pizza dough (with sides raised), and cover with custard topping:
blend together 2 eggs, 1/2 c cream or creme freche, salt, nutmeg and caraway (optional).

Bake 25-35 minutes until crust is golden brown and custard set. Serve with potatoes, salad and wine. Guten Appetit!

2 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds like a fine slice to me!
    Thanks for all your wonderful food over here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOooh mom, you're posting your own cooking photos! They look great. And federweisser (young wine) is DELICIOUS. I will miss it so much when I'm back in the states. Do you think I can get speck or schinken in Fred's or Safeway? Flammkuchen is my favorite German(ish) food thus far. That and bread-butter-cheese-butter-schinken-butter sandwiches. Tschuess!

    ReplyDelete