In search of healthy and fun meals to feed my family, with an eye toward sustainable living.

Here you'll find recipes & ramblings about keeping my family fed with what's available in Alaska between local produce, a little bit of wild harvest, and the modern grocery store.

Monday, June 15, 2009

Pasta galore


To me, cooking pasta for dinner feels nearly like cheating, because it's sooooo easy!

Boil water, dump in the noodles, boil 10 minutes, drain, toss with something, VOILA!
The something could be as simple as olive oil and parmesan, or you can get fancier. I like adding lots of veggies, and one of the following sauces: pesto/tomato sauce/ heavy cream/ goat cheese.
This weekend we had guests, and I made Ziti with goat cheese, broccoli, sunchokes, topped with black olives and pine nuts. Ymmm.

Another favorite is to make a Ziti casserole -- similar idea as lasagna, but much quicker to assemble. This is one of my family's favorite dishes -- if I'm going to have a busy afternoon, I prepare it ahead of time and bake right before dinner.)

Baked Ziti
inspired by the Sopranos!


Ziti, al dente, tossed with olive oil
Tomato sauce (your own or 1 jar spaghetti sauce)
ricotta cheese (1 container)
veggies (just about any: zuccini, mushrooms, broccoli, spinach, etc)
meat optional (meatballs, Italian sausage, pepperoni)
extra garlic, if desired
mozzarella cheese, grated

Mix it all up (I put about 1/2 of mozza on top). Bake at 350 for about 1/2 hr, until cheese on top is bubbling...

No comments:

Post a Comment