In search of healthy and fun meals to feed my family, with an eye toward sustainable living.

Here you'll find recipes & ramblings about keeping my family fed with what's available in Alaska between local produce, a little bit of wild harvest, and the modern grocery store.

Monday, June 15, 2009

Thai Curry Soup w/ Bok Choy & Salmon

I've got a ton of Bok Choy in the garden, needing to be harvested, and the price of Wild Alaskan salmon is dropping... so I needed a vehicle for these 2 delicious ingredients!

I bought a whole Sockeye salmon today, filleted it (which does not look anything as nice as the picture -- it's more like butchering when I do it...), and processed all the left-over bits of meat into bite-sized chunks for soup. The carcass of the fish was processed into stock (click here for recipe), and now it's time for one of my favorite recipes:

Thai Curry Soup with Bok Choy & Salmon
(Recipe from my dear Colorado friend Pam)
2 cans coconut milk
2-3 T Thai curry paste
1.5 c fish stock
3 T fish sauce
2 T sugar
3 lemongrass (I cheated and used a prepared paste)
3 lime leaves
1/2 t turmeric
2 # pumpkin or butternut squash (I used summer squash), cubed
1 # salmon, cut into chunks
1 # shrimp, peeled
Bok Choy, tons, chopped
juice of 1 lime
Cilantro, for garnish
Basmati rice, cooked separately
Whisk curry paste into coconut milk. Add all the ingredients up to squash -- cook until tender. Add seafood & bok choy, and heat until seafood is cooked (this will not take long at all -- don't overcook the fish. Add lime juice & cilantro just before serving. Put some rice in a bowl, then ladle soup over it.

ADDENDUM: This was a BIG hit with the family (except youngest, who found it a little too "spicy") -- I hadn't served it in over a year. I forgot what a gorgeous color this soup makes -- I wish I had taken a picture to show you the yellow-greenish broth, with dark greens and pinks floating around in it: very attractive.

No comments:

Post a Comment